Molly: I take it you’re a feminist.
Roy: I’ve been called many things, but I ain’t never been saddled with that one.
Molly: You should try being saddled sometime; smell of leather, sting of a whip.
—Rene Russo as Dr. Molly Griswold, and Kevin Costner as Roy “Tin Cup” McAvoy in Tin Cup
If you like watching the Progressive Left fail and flail, FUBARCare is already proving to be the gift that keeps on giving. In recent developments:
- HHS’ Henry Chao testified before Congress that 30% to 40% of the FUBARCare website hasn’t even been built yet, including the mechanisms to allow you to pay for your new medical insurance policy (thus ensuring that you are actually covered), despite the law having been passed nearly four years ago, scheduled for launch October 1 (some 7 weeks ago), and the policy requirements taking effect 40 days from today;
- Several cybersecurity experts testified before Congress that the website has major security flaws and is so badly at risk that it should be shut down;
- The Leftist and cyber-savvy People’s State of Oregon has signed up exactly zero people on its State exchange to date;
- A single mother in Washington State whom Obama hailed as an anecdotal FUBARCare success story had to drop her new coverage after changes in her subsidy made it unaffordable; and my personal favorite:
- The website crashed on HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius when she tried to help a woman sign up during a staged-for-the-media event in Miami.
And that’s just some of the headlines from the last couple of days.
CBS News, of all places, now reports Obama’s approval rating at 37% and dropping, while 61% now disapprove of FUBARCare. Both are all-time lows. 7% somehow manage to say they think FUBARCare is working well, but I’ll bet you dollars-to-donuts 99% of them don’t know what it is, and the other 1% are Congressional Democrats. Fully on the defensive, Obama on Tuesday amazingly actually had the steel kiwis to try to blame all the problems with FUBARCare on the Republicans.
Are you kidding me? The Republicans are to blame for FUBARCare? Really?
Even for Obama, that level of impudence in refusing to accept responsibility for anything is breathtaking. I’m half surprised he isn’t trying to blame George Bush specifically. But, following up on a post from last week, here is where the GOP needs to ramp up its messaging and hoist Obama and the Democrats on their own petard.
I would launch a media blitz making sure the public understands what’s going on with this thing and who owns it. First, I would stop calling it “Obamacare” and refer to it as “DemocratCare” (I prefer my “FUBARCare” label, but that won’t work for this purpose). Then I would take to every conceivable media outlet and even take out TV time to point out:
- Not one Republican participated in the drafting of DemocratCare—the Democrats wouldn’t permit it;
- Not one Republican voted to pass DemocratCare—to the contrary, they did just about everything they could to prevent it;
- Not one Republican participated in creating the tens of thousands of pages of regulations implementing DemocratCare;
- Not a single Republican in Congress participated in the creation—or lack thereof—of the failing website, nor are they the ones crashing it;
- Republican governors sued to try to stop DemocratCare;
- Republicans in Congress tried to repeal DemocratCare–the Democrats in the Senate wouldn’t even take up debate;
- Republicans in Congress tried to stop DemocratCare by defunding it—the Democrats shut down the government until that effort was ended; and
- Republicans in Congress tried to delay DemocratCare—the Democrats refused, despite knowing since March that the website wasn’t ready and wouldn’t be ready.
The President is trying to shift the blame for this mess to the GOP, when the GOP had literally nothing to do with it. To the contrary, the Republicans tried at every opportunity to protect you from this; it was the Democrats who forced this upon you over Republican opposition:
- It was the Democrats who wrote DemocratCare behind closed doors;
- It was the Democrats who told you DemocratCare had to be passed before you could even find out what’s in it;
- It was the Democrats who passed DemocratCare in the Senate in the middle of the night without anyone having read the thing;
- It was the Democrats who bragged that DemocratCare was “a big f#cking deal”;
- It was the Democrats who campaigned in 2012 on how great DemocratCare was going to be.
Well, DemocratCare was passed and we’re now seeing what’s in it. How’s that working?
- It was the Democrats who, with nearly four years to work on it, couldn’t competently manage the construction of a website (even Al Jezeera, Al Qaeda, ebay, Amazon, the Girl Scouts, and the endless Obama campaign manage to do that);
- If you are one of the millions who under DemocratCare have now lost a medical insurance plan you liked, or the 50 to 100 million now projected to lose their coverage in the future, it was the Democrats who lied to you that you’d be able to keep it;
- If you are one of the millions who have seen a dramatic increase in the cost of your medical insurance, it was the Democrats who lied to you that DemocratCare was going to decrease costs for most Americans;
- If you are one of the millions whose doctors are not included in the only medical insurance plans now available to you under DemocratCare, it was the Democrats who lied to you that you’d be able to keep your doctor;
- If you are one of the millions who have either lost your job or had your hours reduced so your employer could avoid DemocratCare’s mandate for businesses with 50 or more full-time employees, it was the Democrats who lied to you that DemocratCare would create jobs;
- If you become one of the millions who have to pay a penalty—er, tax—it was the Democrats who lied to you that DemocratCare would not increase taxes;
- If you have children who will now be saddled with trillions of dollars of additional debt (that’s almost all of you), it was the Democrats who lied to you that DemocratCare would not add a dime to the deficit;
- If you or someone you love becomes one of those who ends up dying because a shortage of doctors prevents you from obtaining a necessary procedure, it was the Democrats who lied to you that this kind of thing wouldn’t happen under DemocratCare;
- And even if you’ve been fortunate enough not to have been personally impacted by DemocratCare (and you’re not, you just haven’t realized it yet), if you voted based on what you were told about it, it was the Democrats who lied to you about it all (and, for the more inquisitive among you, ask yourself “why did they lie to me about all these things?”).
And I’d intersperse these messages with Max Headroom-style stuttering sound bites of the President, Secretary Sebelius, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and any other Democrat I can find saying “I-I-I-I-I-I’m responsible-I’m responsible-I’m responsible for this.”
The Democrats own this, and the Republicans have to be able to message it. It’s a winning issue that should cripple the Progressives for decades, but the GOP has to sell it hard, and sell it now.
If they can’t saddle the Democrats with this, they’re done. And so are all the rest of us.